Numb Arms and Hands
Numbness of arms or the hands is a condition in which there will be loss of sensation or a tingling feeling in the affected part. The sensation may be manifested by a prickling or burning pain. It can affect any part of a person’s body but it usually affects the arms and the hands. There are a number of causes for this kind of condition.
These are as follows:
- A branch of a nerve in the finger, hand, or the arm is compressed. This may cause the blood flow through that certain area of the body to be stuck, thus leading to numbness.
- An injury of a nerve can lead to inadequate blood flow causing loss of sensation.
- Extremely low temperature may cause the blood vessels to constrict and limiting the blood flow.
- Lack of vitamins, particularly vitamin B12
- Medical conditions such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which is characterized by pressure on the median nerve of the hands
Numb Arms When Sleeping
It is common that people will feel numbness in the arms when the arm is placed under the body or under the head during sleep. This leads to lack of blood supply to the arm causing the tingling sensation.This, however, can disappear after a few minutes of putting the arms back to normal position. On the contrary, more serious conditions cause the numbness of arms when sleeping.
Some of the dangerous causes of numb arms when sleeping include:
- Cervical Disk Syndrome
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Raynaud’s disease
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Broken shoulder- blade
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Ganglion cysts
- Sjorgen’s Syndrome
- Lyme Disease
What are the Treatment for Numb Arms
There are various ways to prevent and to treat numbness of the arms. Listed below are tips on how to overcome numb arms.
- Numbness has a number of causes. It is important to have an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause to identify the right treatment.
- Know what may be causing the symptom and stop doing it.
- Apply cold compress to the swelling part to aid blood circulation.
- Apply Cow Parsnip Tincture to the affected part. This is said to allow damaged nerves to regrow.
- Arm exercises and physical therapy help strengthen the muscles of the arms.
- For those who are working with computers, avoid placing your elbows on the table for a long period of time.
- Avoid sleeping with arms under the body or under the head as this could cause numbness.