Faudzil @ Ajak

Faudzil @ Ajak
Always think how to do things differently. - Faudzil Harun@Ajak

13 August 2014

SHAPE UP - Doonya Actually Made Me Think I Could Dance




Forget Zumba, this Bollywood inspired dance workout is the newest dance craze to hit the fitness scene.




July 3, 2014 | By Kayda Norman
If you love Zumba and hip-hop classes, you may just become obsessed withDoonya -– a Bollywood-inspired dance workout created by cofounders Priya Pandya and Kajal Desai. While personally I've never been a big dancer, I knew I needed to try Doonya after watching a few videos online and seeing how fun it was. Major confession: While I enjoy dancing with friends, I've felt more foolish than fit when I've tried taking Zumba classes in the past.
The Gist: This full-body workout isn't just about shimmying and shaking. Doonya incorporates strength intervals in between songs like pushups, planks, lunges, and burpees. Be prepared to sweat! This one-hour class burns up to 800 calories, leaving you with a stronger core and increased endurance.
The Experience: I was lucky enough to have my class with Priya, so I knew I was in good hands. Zumba classes usually leave me struggling to master the steps, so I was surprised (and pleased) that I was able to pick up the Doonya moves pretty easily. Before each song, Priya would break down the choreography step-by-step then incorporate everything together. Before I knew it, I felt like I was actually a semi-capable dancer and channeling my inner-Slumdog Millionaire.
Granted, I still struggled to perfect some of the steps. I was able to get most of the arm swaying, hand flicks, and shoulder shrugs down, but failed miserably when I had to combine moves like hip lifts while spinning in a semi-coordinated circle. Priya told us to "make it sexy," but well, that just wasn't happening.
Nevertheless, even though I had sweat dripping down my face after the first song, I was having too much fun dancing to care. I know how important it is to take strength training classes, so I try to do that often despite how long and grueling they feel. With Doonya, the time flew by thanks to the great instructor and high-energy music.
My Take: I'd take another Doonya class in a heartbeat. It was an excellent cardio workout, and really works your core, arms, shoulders, and of course legs. While the class wasn't exactly the most challenging workout I've ever done, it was a ton of fun and gave me a few new dance moves I desperately needed (trust me).
Ready to try it? Classes are offered throughout the nation. Find a class on Doonya's official website. Get a sneak peak for yourself, here:



Source: http://www.fitbie.com

No comments: