The Malaysian Insider
An anonymous benefactor has offered a US$30 million (RM96 million) reward for conclusive evidence on who shot down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 on July 17, reports said today.
USA Today said today German private detectives, acting on behalf of the mystery client, have confirmed that the money had been deposited into a Zurich bank account.
Flight MH17 was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down by a surface-to-air missile in eastern Ukraine with 298 passengers and crew members on board. Two-thirds of the passengers are from the Netherlands.
Ukrainian and Western leaders have blamed pro-Russian rebels for firing the missile.
Last week, in the Dutch Safety Board in a preliminary report said the Boeing 777 crashed because of a "large number of high-energy objects" penetrating the fuselage, a conclusion supporting a theory that it had been shot down by a ground-based missile.
The United Nations Security Council will also discuss the downingof flight MH17 tomorrow.
Wifka, the private investigators, said on its website that the reward may be claimed in Zurich or in a different neutral place of the whistleblower's choice".
Josef Resch, who runs Wifka, was quoted as saying in German business magazine Capital that the offer included giving any whistleblower a "new identity".
The US$30 million offer is larger than the US$25 million bounty offered for the capture of al-Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden.
Wifka said its client wanted precise information, such as who shot down MH17 on July 17. Other information sought included who gave the order, was there a cover-up, details on the circumstances that led to the shootdown, who was involved directly, where is the weapon and who okayed the shootdown.
Resch said the reward would be tempting enough to eventually root out the perpetrators.
“Everyone can be bought, it’s just a question of the price,” he was quoted as saying in Capital.
A final report into the crash of MH17 is due in 2015. – September 18, 2014.